Restore GG settings and search history after update

CmP

Question

Greetings.
I wonder, if GameGuardian settings and search history can be restored after updating the application.
I see one possible way to accomplish this, but can't be sure that it will work like I think it will. GameGuardian stores some xml file with preferences at the path "/data/data/*gg package name*/shared_prefs/". It seems to contain exactly that data, which I want to restore after updating to newer version of the app. So can I simply copy this file contents and paste them to newly generated file (by newer version of the app) in order to restore settings and search history? Can this possibly produce some unintended effects or errors?

9 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Enyby said:

Such a task is in the plans.

Nice!

One question about working without root. What is the proper procedure to update GG in this case? I assume that old version needs to be uninstalled before or after installing the new one.

• Administrators

Without root, GG can not find the old versions, so most likely you will have to delete the old version after installing the new one.
It's better to delete the old one after installing the new one because if it's done earlier, GG will not be able to transfer the settings when it's added.

34 minutes ago, Enyby said:

It's better to delete the old one after installing the new one because if it's done earlier, GG will not be able to transfer the settings when it's added.

Did a quick test. Had 8.56.0 version, changed some settings as well as floating icon position on the screen. Then installed 8.57.0 version. 2 shortcuts for the new version have been added to the main screen (shortcuts of the old version remained, because, as you have written, GG can't detect old versions in no root mode). Unfortunately, settings from the old version weren't copied - default settings have been applied.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, CmP said:

Unfortunately, settings from the old version weren't copied - default settings have been applied.

3 hours ago, Enyby said:

when it's added.

3 hours ago, Enyby said:

Such a task is in the plans.

While this is not. But I give advice taking into account that in the future it will work.
And then the mass of users will do so, and then say "you yourself wrote." And they will not care what I wrote before I added this feature.