Jump to content
Inpecstigator

Catch.Me.If.You.Can and Security Concerns

Recommended Posts

Forgive me if this was asked, though I am 99% sure it hasn't come up yet because I did thorough searching using the site's search engine as well as third party engines.

 

This morning I attempted to download and install game guardian (using this site's download link), and when I opened up the .apk there were quite a few flashes on my screen which instantly made me panic and think I might have messed up and downloaded some nefarious application. I quickly uninstalled, wiped, did all I could and I noticed that when I installed Game Guardian there was a second app installed, same icon and everything, called catch.me.if.you.can.

 

Now, I already know that antivirus and other security programs will flag Game Guardian as dangerous software because of its inherent nature, but I really need some assurance that Game Guardian.net is not a group of malicious individuals. More importantly, what is this second apk that was downloaded and installed? I really am worried right now and want to know if anyone can explain this Catch.Me.If.You.Can deal.

 

Bless you all in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's odd... 

I have never come across this. 

Only thing I could think is possible is if the download link had ads and clicked the "wrong" download link, which downloaded something else with the GG app. 

I'm on latest version and no catch me if you can app anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For prevent detection GG reinstall self with random package name. Some technically limits need restart app - this can be cause of "blinking" app on start.

 

You download GG, start it, It start install self and run, You go to in panic and remove new package - installer stay on device.

 

Summary - it is not normal.

But if you can not trust us - do not install GG and do not use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zup Guys! 

 

I got this catch.me.if.u.can else for the 1st time and i am using GG from the beginning. Today im trying for hours to get it to run but i only become a very long logcat:

 

Logcat-47468.txt

 

Screenshot_2016-07-04-00-59-19.png

Screenshot_2016-07-04-00-59-47.png

Edited by d2dyno
Removed log from post; attached as .txt file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realized I have that too :P

I trust the developer 100%

If not, I wouldn't use it :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jellyboo said:

very long logcat

Attach file /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.wh.havqcodtryluidxxo/files/last_run.log  after crash.

if /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.wh.havqcodtryluidxxo/files/crash.log exists - attach too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go so pls have a look on the next 2 screenshots. Xprivacy tells 2 installation from GG...have no clue what the hell it cause...  I posted a new log also. 

 

>>>>

 

Logcat-47476.txt

 

Screenshot_2016-07-04-06-07-55.png

Screenshot_2016-07-04-06-09-42.png

Edited by d2dyno
Removed log from post; attached as .txt file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Enyby said:

Attach file /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.wh.havqcodtryluidxxo/files/last_run.log  after crash.

if /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.wh.havqcodtryluidxxo/files/crash.log exists - attach too.

 

So i have not a folder with these name, strange. What could be the reason for that, already an idea? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need do exactly what I say. In time order. Of course, file do not exists because you firstly install test version, but I am ask firstly for files and only after that need install test version. But you do it in reverse order.

 

And do not post logs as text. Attach it as text files.

 

Now you need attach next file:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.rypmeg.ejucvacezjjjo/files/last_run.log

After crash of daemon and after exit from gg.

 

And attach in file logcat from run gg with daemon crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jellyboo as Enyby said, post the logs as an ATTACHMENT. If you just paste the text into the post, it makes reading the rest of this topic impossible. I have copied them into text files, and attached them to their respective posts. Repeated log postings will result in a warning on your account.

 

@Inpecstigator I believe your question has been answered by Enyby. Please select the best answer from amongst these posts, so other users can find a quick answer if they have the same question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2016 at 8:33 AM, Enyby said:

For prevent detection GG reinstall self with random package name. Some technically limits need restart app - this can be cause of "blinking" app on start.

 

You download GG, start it, It start install self and run, You go to in panic and remove new package - installer stay on device.

 

Summary - it is not normal.

But if you can not trust us - do not install GG and do not use it.

I'm not sure if this does not constitute as an answer. I never said I didn't trust Game Guardian*. I have been on this site for only a few weeks and can see it is full of supportive individuals all just trying to have fun with an app. 

 

My question is really nothing more than a need for assurance. Throughout this thread I have noticed other's have noticed this "catch me if you can" apk but have yet to see an explanation as to what this apk is. 

 

Please do not jump to conclusions and put words in my mouth. I am not looking for any trouble, only answers.

 

Edit: Game guardian or it's developers*

Edited by Inpecstigator
Additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All answers written above. I answer to your question and describe what happens with your issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Inpecstigator said:

I'm not sure if this does not constitute as an answer. I never said I didn't trust Game Guardian. I have been on this site for only a few weeks and can see it is full of supportive individuals all just trying to have fun with an app. 

 

My question is really nothing more than a need for assurance. Throughout this thread I have noticed other's have noticed this "catch me if you can" apk but have yet to see an explanation as to what this apk is. 

 

Please do not jump to conclusions and put words in my mouth. I am not looking for any trouble, only answers.

I do not think Enyby meant to put words in your mouth, or come off as rude. Some things are lost in translation (literally).

 

I believe that APK/package name is just a placeholder, as the new package, with a unique package name, of GameGuardian is being installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2016 at 6:28 PM, d2dyno said:

I do not think Enyby meant to put words in your mouth, or come off as rude. Some things are lost in translation (literally).

 

I believe that APK/package name is just a placeholder, as the new package, with a unique package name, of GameGuardian is being installed.

Okay then, I appreciate that. I do see the global spread of Game Guardian's users.

 

Thank you for your input as well. From what you're saying this catch me if you can is intentional and not some sort of hijack (as someone else suggested), correct?

 

Thank you all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2016 at 11:33 PM, Enyby said:

For prevent detection GG reinstall self with random package name. Some technically limits need restart app - this can be cause of "blinking" app on start.

 

You download GG, start it, It start install self and run, You go to in panic and remove new package - installer stay on device.

 

Summary - it is not normal.

But if you can not trust us - do not install GG and do not use it.

Some hackers use this site to plant in Bugs,Viruses and many kind of stuff but for me GG is very useful plus its virus free so what's wrong with that The GG site just needs to be refreshed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UrGHost453 said:

Some hackers use this site to plant in Bugs,Viruses

Where? Need proof.

4 hours ago, UrGHost453 said:

The GG site just needs to be refreshed.

I do not think so.
In any case what you offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a XDA thread regarding this. Looks like it's a tracker, but I can't tell for sure. If the developer can't prove me wrong, I'm gonna try to spread that, as good as I can.

Edited by PotatoGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PotatoGuy said:

There's a XDA thread regarding this. Looks like it's a tracker, but I can't tell for sure. If the developer can't prove me wrong, I'm gonna try to spread that, as good as I can.

I don't think there is a need to prove something to you.

You are not forced to install this app nor paying anything for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PotatoGuy said:

If the developer can't prove me wrong, I'm gonna try to spread that, as good as I can.

Let's do it. Our topic of funny quotes must not be stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Enyby said:

Let's do it. Our topic of funny quotes must not be stopped.

HAHAHAHA 😂😂

Also, closing this thread, since this has been answered already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×