Decompiling apks

harryk

I have been learning Java for about a month now. I managed to successfully mod some open source games with what little I know about Java and android development. However, I've never been able to successfully get fully working source from decompiled apks. I tried a couple of tools like apktool and apk2gold. Apktool didn't give the sources, and I have no idea what to do with the .smali files. Apk2gold gave proper Java files and XMLs, but when I try to run it, the ide shows thousands of errors both on eclipse and AIDE. I'm totally lost. what am I doing wrong?

If anyone wants to know, I run eclipse on a 32 bit Ubuntu 12.10

Sent from my GT-I9300

Installing eclipse is just fine. I already have eclipse and android SDK working. I can make new apps or build existing sources and run them through USB debugging. What I can't do is rebuilding decompiled apks. It always gives thousands of errors, most of which go something like " can not be resolved as a type or is not a field"

Sent from my GT-I9300

Eclipse is quite annoying when it comes to rebuilding APKs, I've run into it a few times. I suggest you use another program to rebuild them, there is a decent one in the VIP+ section and a good guide accompany it.

What I can't do is rebuilding decompiled apks. It always gives thousands of errors, most of which go something like " can not be resolved as a type or is not a field"

Did you mean "repacking" apk instead of "recompiling" apk? coz apk is just a .zip package to make app distribution easier. Have you try to repack it with apktool? I usually can unpack-repack some apps with this tool without problem (most of the time anyway); although you can actually open an apk file with any .zip unpacker program.

Sent from my Orion3000-X5.7½

No, I don't mean repacking. I decompile them and look at the source to figure out how they work. The decompiled source is difficult to understand, but that is to be expected. The problem is that freshly decompiled, unaltered source does not build into a working app.

Sent from my GT-I9300