2 questions about pointers

Rastakiwi

Hello! A lot of gameguardian users deal with pointers. Anyway, I think most of us have some problems with them, even with some programming background. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) I was first asking myself why a pointer ALWAYS points to another pointer (or 0, but i think it is erased data)... do you know why?

2)  I don't understand why they're so much. Well, I know they're used for jumps and calls (assembly language) but nothing more. I'm really surprised by their number sometimes.

What did I miss with them? Please could you explain us and/or redirect us to some tutorials? Thanks so much!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rastakiwi said:

why a pointer ALWAYS points to another pointer (or 0, but i think it is erased data)... do you know why?

Not always. It can be anything.

they're used for jumps and calls (assembly language) but nothing more

It can point to anything. To data, to code and used for any purpose.

redirect us to some tutorials?

Read wikipedia about pointers or google about that.

Thanks eniby. However, I already googled it but i only find infos about pointers in programming languages of high level like C (comparing to game guardian's memory level). It is hard to find help out there about the "brute" structure of programs.

Archived