Is there a way to remove level cap in games?

zyRoxityy

Question

2 answers to this question

if the game is anything like say classic 1996 diablo for PC, the level cap is actually a hard coded limit, while the xp might go up forever, the level was hard coded to value X max for level, however xp could go on forever, simply rolling over once it reached the max value for the address, and by rolling over i mean going to the negative extreme of the address once it reached the maximum value. (fun to watch a score coded in a dword value to hit the limit and go from 2 billion and change to the good to a negative 2billion and change)

in the old pc diablo 1 version 1.00 the level cap was hard coded to 60, however with a patch to i think version 1.08 or 1.09 the hard coded maximum level was increased to 99, and with modifiers could be boosted (or hacked) to 127; (max byte value before negative values, addresses didn't have 'overflow' or extra lines they could create to work as a multiplier of the byte value and so when you hit the wall and try to pass it, things will become buggy if it doesn't outright crash (some games will just crash if you brake a value that was hard coded to a maximum value)

you've said the game has a level limit of 150, you hacked it to 151 (possibly already past the hard coded limit that was programed into the game) and while i'm not playing the game in question i do know that if the game was never programed to handle levels beyond 150 hitting 151 using the xp hack says that you've filled the value (Dword, Qword, ect) to it's max and then did something in game that would reward xp crossing over to 151 and at which point i'm guessing the XP counter/bar/whatever is gone or 'frozen' from taking anymore xp.

i could be wrong, but i think the only way to pass 150 (or 151 with the xp hack i described above) would be to program NEW things into the app it's self, in other words join the development and producer of the app in question and get programing access to the app and add you stuff.... or research modding if the game has that possible option, maybe you can mod a few lines in a single file of the program (kinda like rules.ini from command and conquer on PC) and make something happen, but in the end if it's hard codded to stop at 150 and you got a full +1 on that with hacking, you very well may have found a hard codded limit.  GG and other tools like it work in the active memory of a game, and while the active memory can be manipulated the programs actual hard code would have to be edited in a programing environment to add new lines of code permanently changing the limit in the base code, not the ram's active memory.  the game may have a safety check when closing that discards any values over the hard coded limits (or worse, resets them to zero because they were 'invalid' values).....

maybe a few fellow long time gamer nerds can chime in and elaborate on this further.

side note: i have a game that is hard coded to go to level 999, the value is a word so it has a limit of 65k or so, but if you increase the value beyond 999, it will stay 999 even if i set it to 26,123; thus hard coded limit of the program can't be hacked in that case no matter what i do.  in that game if you where to play it, it is expected that you'd need more then one life time to reach 999, given that level 999 would require over 4 billion (4,000,000,000) missions to be played (and i think that's low balling it, each level requires double the previous levels XP, so level one is 2xp to get to level two, but it's 4xp to get to level three, then 8, then 16, 32, ect.)

Archived