Special Characters Not Recognized

HorridModz

Question

Help me!

I was making a script encoder, when I ran into a major problem. Apparently, string processing commands like string.sub do not support special characters like ☺ and 㐪 and  and ␇␈. They only work on common characters, like the ones I can directly type on my keyboard (ie: '!','2','J','j','{',':',etc.). I am using the default local in gameguardian, but I do not think that affects it.

For example, here is outputted when I directly use this special characterwithout doing any string manipulation on it:

print("☺")

Script ended:

But when I do this exact thing, but with string manipulation commands, this is the output:

print(string.sub("☺", 1, 1))

Script ended:

Let's try with a non-special character:

print("a")

Script ended:
a

print(string.sub("a", 1, 1))

Script ended:
a

This does not apply to all commands. Let's use a command that is not from the lua string libary:

print("☺" .. "")

Script ended:

Now, why is this a problem? I need to read and encrypt characters one by one. The only way to get a character one by one is using string.sub (a member of the lua string library), like the code above, or at least this is claimed by the official lua documentary:

https://www.lua.org/pil/20.html

I have tried this code, but lua does not let me iterate through string:

for i in "☺" do
print(i)
end

How can you help?

If you have any ideas, please tell me a way to input this:

characters = "☺a"
print(string.sub(characters, 1, 1)) -- replace this with your code to print "☺"! You may not type "☺" anywhere in the code besides the first line (characters = "☺a") as this defeats the purpose.

and output this:

Script ended:

Thanks so much for reading!

3 answers to this question

1. lua support text manipulation only with Unicode characters, so using emojis and special characters won't work.

2. you can loop through a string like this 

local str = "Hello World !"

for char in str:gmatch "." do 
  print (char)
end 

2 hours ago, HorridModz said:

Help me!

I was making a script encoder, when I ran into a major problem. Apparently, string processing commands like string.sub do not support special characters like ☺ and 㐪 and  and ␇␈. They only work on common characters, like the ones I can directly type on my keyboard (ie: '!','2','J','j','{',':',etc.). I am using the default local in gameguardian, but I do not think that affects it.

For example, here is outputted when I directly use this special characterwithout doing any string manipulation on it:

print("☺")

Script ended:

But when I do this exact thing, but with string manipulation commands, this is the output:

print(string.sub("☺", 1, 1))

Script ended:

Let's try with a non-special character:

print("a")

Script ended:
a

print(string.sub("a", 1, 1))

Script ended:
a

This does not apply to all commands. Let's use a command that is not from the lua string libary:

print("☺" .. "")

Script ended:

Now, why is this a problem? I need to read and encrypt characters one by one. The only way to get a character one by one is using string.sub (a member of the lua string library), like the code above, or at least this is claimed by the official lua documentary:

https://www.lua.org/pil/20.html

I have tried this code, but lua does not let me iterate through string:

for i in "☺" do
print(i)
end

How can you help?

If you have any ideas, please tell me a way to input this:

characters = "☺a"
print(string.sub(characters, 1, 1)) -- replace this with your code to print "☺"! You may not type "☺" anywhere in the code besides the first line (characters = "☺a") as this defeats the purpose.

and output this:

Script ended:

Thanks so much for reading!

If you have some linux environment, you might perform nano command to see emoji's in utf-8 wich non-Unicode. After you get the idea, it might look like this : "\\M blablabla" and then search using that string. Above answers is good, just casting an alternative idea.

Archived