gg.pthreadCreate

Ferib

16 hours ago, HorridModz said:

pthread_create is a feature of c++. Gameguardian does not encourage the use of running arbitrary c++. Why would they add to a feature when the feature is unwanted in the first place?

22 hours ago, CmP said:

Happy to see you are finally catching up on the conversation as this is exactly my point, all I request is to have a Lua API so that I can call `pthread_create` from the Lua context.

For example, `gg.setValues` eventually calls the native `process_vm_writev` function, I don't see why extending the Lua APIs is a problem in general.

16 hours ago, HorridModz said:
22 hours ago, CmP said:

This example doesn't make sense. Only memory of selected process can be modified. Scripts have no control over which process is selected. So the question remains, what does GG daemon have to do with this?

I think @Feribjust doesn't want to admit he made a bad example. He's doesn't want to admit he made a mistake, so there's no point arguing about it.

> Can be any process
as in
Can be any process **selected by GG**, meaning whatever the target process might be. The GG Daemon process was an example and has indeed to be selected, in fact, the whole GG API set will ONLY work on the selected target application. Apologise for my 'mistake' I forgot the lack of knowledge you might have had.

1 hour ago, Ferib said:

The GG Daemon process was an example and has indeed to be selected

There is "one small issue" with this example. It implies that GG daemon would attach to itself. Not only it can't work like that, GG also doesn't show it's own daemon in process list (for the aforementioned reason).

You clearly confused something in this example, but instead of admitting it, you have resorted to suggesting that critique of your example stems from "lack of knowledge". Such desperate attempts to "never make mistakes" is a sign of arrogance and an obstacle that prevents learning from one's own mistakes.

Edited by CmP

6 hours ago, Ferib said:

Happy to see you are finally catching up on the conversation as this is exactly my point, all I request is to have a Lua API so that I can call `pthread_create` from the Lua context.

For example, `gg.setValues` eventually calls the native `process_vm_writev` function, I don't see why extending the Lua APIs is a problem in general.

Lua scripts are sandboxed. They have limited file access. They show a warning when the script tries to access the internet. This stuff is intentional. It's to prevent abuse. If gameguardian devs added these safety features, why would they encourage a way to bypass them?

However, lua scripts need some freedom, or else they will be useless. So functions like gg.setValues are provided and encouraged. Just like in any software, there's a balance between security and functionality.

As I said before, I do wish this functionality existed myself. But my point is that it realistically has no chance to make it into vanilla gameguardian.

By the way, I'm sorry for being a little rude to you. I don't want to get stuck on this.

Edited by HorridModz