Failed to read file list

CheatTester

Question

hi, got problem on Android 11, GG cant access the obb and data folder ( /sdcard/Android/ )

Device :

Xperia XZ2

ROM : LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11)

ROOT : Yes ( Magisk v23.0 )

Root and Storage permission is already granted but still cant access those folder

thanks

15 answers to this question

Hello,

I have the same problem, I am on Android 11

Realme X3 SuperZoom (12GB / 256GB)

Root: No

I can't access my phone's storage knowing that my phone doesn't have an SD card slot so I find this weird.

(Obviously GG has all storage permissions).

I have some images at my disposal.

Thank you.

Screenshot_2021-12-25-13-46-40-92_97d8557e5edac333d00a63a1df4942ef.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-25-13-46-27-13_97d8557e5edac333d00a63a1df4942ef.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-25-13-46-23-34_97d8557e5edac333d00a63a1df4942ef.jpg

its still cant access, even browsing file ( via menu > execute script ) it cant access the obb and data folder, 

its probably the permission or something, because i find this obb and data cant be access via regular file manager ( stock file manager, can open the folder but when trying to copy file to folder obb and data, its become not accessible and the folder not show up ) so need file manager like rootexplorer or something like that.

also, this whole obb and data access become more annoying in android 12 ( was trying on my other phone install latest MIUI 12 android 12 (xiaomi ), accessing those folder just to copy or move file is required extra effort.

Edited by CheatTester

I ran into similar. What I did was launch the app using lucky patcher. Es file explorer would get root then say root not installed. Running thru lp fixes it somehow. You could also try a different way to get there. Like 

/sdcard/Android is also /storage/emulated/0 

Or mnt/...

Each one is different I've seen no access using one go the other road and get root

Edited by Myster1086

I meant to attempt to check folder contents with file chooser, but there is no need anymore, since the situation supposedly became clear enough.

GG doesn't use root to access file, path to which is provided by user in input field of "Execute script" dialog (nor does it for file chooser functionality in general). In most cases it works fine: just place script file(s) that needs to be executed in a folder that can be accessed without root and it will work. However, if target file is located in folders that require root to be accessed, GG may not be able to access it.

In Android 11, as part of it's privacy-oriented changes, applications have been restricted from accessing other applications' data on external storage, i.e. contents of "/Android/data" and "/Android/obb" folders (source). So when GG runs on device with Android 11, it doesn't have access to those folders (with exception of it's own folder in "/Android/data"). For GG to be able to access files without restrictions, it most likely needs to delegate this functionality to it's daemon that runs with root, but there are security concerns related with such solution, so there need to be solid reasons to implement it.

Actual question that needs to be asked in current case is why you need to be able to access contents of "/Android/data" with GG. For most use cases there should be alternatives that don't require accessing restricted folders, so it's not unlikely that there is an alternative for your case as well.

i see, thanks for the explanation

oh, there is game that has multiple OBB and data file for different device specification ( it has 3 different obb  version depend on the device spec, the apk version is the same for all device ), usually i detect this to automatically load different script to make the data search faster and the value  and region is different for each obb version ( i use the script with my friends too , most of them just user that have no idea how the script work, that why i do that, also usually i play on emulator which obb file also different from my phone ) thats the only reason 😄

its no big deal, just wondering why my script cant access that folder which usually i can on my other phone LoL

thankyou for your time, all of you guys.