What is pointers?

ika3m

• Moderators

A value in a game

Dword. Qword for x64.

The value in hex = and address location.

So if you were to copy the hex value. Goto memory browser and select "goto address location" and paste that hex value, that's where that value is "pointing" to.

7 minutes ago, NoFear said:

A value in a game

Dword. Qword for x64.

The value in hex = and address location.

So if you were to copy the hex value. Goto memory browser and select "goto address location" and paste that hex value, that's where that value is "pointing" to.

And what is the use for it? Can you like give me an example what this can do in games? 

Thank you for the fast reply @NoFear

• Moderators

Let's say you find an item qty value.

Nearby could be a bunch of pointers.

If you follow them, they could lead you to what is setting the item.

So like a game with weapon inventory, if you have 100 AK47, follow pointers, you could find the AK47. Then change pointer to another item instead.

Pointers can have many different uses though.  Basically remap things with pointers 

27 minutes ago, NoFear said:

Let's say you find an item qty value.

Nearby could be a bunch of pointers.

If you follow them, they could lead you to what is setting the item.

So like a game with weapon inventory, if you have 100 AK47, follow pointers, you could find the AK47. Then change pointer to another item instead.

Pointers can have many different uses though.  Basically remap things with pointers 

Oh okay so the pointer will show you where the value coming from or where address gets its value from. So pointer will get you the base address of the value. 

I don't know why this was hard to understand, and I just registered in this forum only to ask about what pointer is lol :D

Thank you very much for explaining this in a easy way:)) 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ika3m said:

Oh okay so the pointer will show you where the value coming from or where address gets its value from. So pointer will get you the base address of the value. 

I don't know why this was hard to understand, and I just registered in this forum only to ask about what pointer is lol 😄

Thank you very much for explaining this in a easy way:)) 

Also, if you find a value. Good thing to do is pointer search. Find a pointer that is pointing at/near or above the value. Then that pointer can be group with related pointers.

Sometimes you only need to find 1 value, pointers could map out more for you

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 12:14 PM, NoFear said:

Also, if you find a value. Good thing to do is pointer search. Find a pointer that is pointing at/near or above the value. Then that pointer can be group with related pointers.

Sometimes you only need to find 1 value, pointers could map out more for you

I saw few videos of becca  she pointer searches successively  seems so random.. like 2 pointer search then 1 go to ..then 2 other pointer searches.  How do you know when to stop ?  Or to.alternate from go to to pointer search

Archived