Solution for PTRACE_ATTACH operation not permitted error

Hi there,

So some of you (just like me) have already noticed that modern and up to date android kernels started implementing Yama's third level that prevents Game Guardian to work. It's only the question of time until Android developers at Google's start hard coding this wondeful feature of Linux.

"What is Yama?" one might ask. Well in short Yama is an android security module. You can read about it here in detail.

Once it is set to 3 you can't change it sadly. But you can set it to 0 temporarily by the following command using it in root mode with an Linux terminal emulator.

su
echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

That's it. Now you can use Game Guardian just like before on your Yama hardened android device. Works until reboot then you have to enter the command line again. Have fun! 

8 hours ago, Enyby said:

Enough to sow panic. I have not seen a single android with Yama. Yama is not used on android. There is SeLinux.

As I said it will be implemented soon. Also sure a system can use both. And while I tried and GG works on both Enforced and Permissive selinux kernel, it does not on Yama enabled ones. That's why I made this guide. It took me a lot of time since our private conversation to find a way to do this. Don't let it bother you. It's just a small script that disables Yama temporarily. While Yama is yet not enabled in stock kernels due their lack of recent updates it does not mean it won't be enabled in the future. Custom kernels already started to implement it. And most of GG users sure have root. Root users tend to use custom kernels to improve battety and performance. I've met far enough people to see ptrace error isn't such a rare issue. Here are some popular kernels for my device that already use Yama and does not disable SeLinux.

1. Kud Kernel

2. Stormguard

3. Electra Blue

Archived