Huawei firmware ptrace problem

mroshaw

Question

I'm a massive fan of GG and use it regularly on my rooted HTC U11. I recently bought a new Huawei MediaPad M5 (the 8.4" version) and was pleased to see that root is now no longer a requirement for GG - I'm quite nervous about rooting the new pad, as it breaks Widevine level 1 support. I set about downloading Parallel Space and began hacking away at Crashlands, conveniently sync'ing my gamesave from cloud storage into my Parallel Space.

Alas, I came upon the problem whereby I can attach to the Crashlands process, search and iterate to find addresses but I cannot edit or freeze values. Logcat shows errors when invoking the ptrace system call.

I've come across a few posts here that describe similar observations with Huawei devices and a few responses from the GG author that it looks like a firmware / core issue with the Huawei implementation of the ptrace system call.

I wondered what it would take to address this issue with my device and others? Could this be something that's fixed with an Xposed or Magisk module? Or is it a deliberate security measure / bug in the firmware that's just too deeply buried to do anything about?

5 answers to this question

Yeah, recently got the Mediapad M5. Although the 10" model. Was hard to root, but managed it nonetheless. Still have the same game guardian problem. Although I don't know whether flashing a new kernel like Serenity would help. Any other possible solutions? Flashing stock android or something? 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, mroshaw said:

it looks like a firmware / core issue with the Huawei implementation of the ptrace system call.

Yep.

2 hours ago, mroshaw said:

Or is it a deliberate security measure / bug in the firmware that's just too deeply buried to do anything about?

It is kernel issue. It can not be fixed, as far as I know, from user space. So you can not fix it. Expect use firmware based on not bugged core, but, as far as I know, no such firmware exists at all.

Alright people. Just found this out today and tested it on my Huawei Mate SE/Honor 7x. Game Guardian doesn't work on Android Oreo because of the ptrace issue. In order to fix this, you must downgrade to Nougat and GG will work PERFECTLY. I'm afraid you'll have to break widevine level 1 support though, @mroshaw. Hope this helps!

Archived