Backlift Here

Backlift

Hi

I'm Backlift (such a weird name ?)

I love raccoons, and spaghetti.

I like "Early Access" and "Beta" games, cuz want to be one of the firsts to try new games.

I like these game generes:

Casual,RTS,TBS,TD

I never learned "pointer" and "offset" in terms of memory editing, I mean I know what they are but I don't know how to use them. 

Pointer means a value is controlled by another value and the current is only showing it, so changing it results in nothing and you must find the pointer, but in GG I select "go to pointer" but still that value seems to be connected to a pointer, always.

And offset means the actual value is not the value you are seeing, it has an offset like it's 100 more or 12 less, don't know how to find that. 

I would appreciate if someone teach me step by step. ?

Edited by Backlift
Typo

• Moderators

Welcome to forum @Backlift

I can help explain many things with GG

As with pointers, it's typically a hex value that the value is the address of information it pulls from. 

If you want a few games to try pointers on, I have some you can practice with. You end up recognizing them in a list of values. Some games it is a nightmare, hex pointer to hex pointer to hex pointer. 

1 hour ago, NoFear said:

Welcome to forum @Backlift

I can help explain many things with GG

As with pointers, it's typically a hex value that the value is the address of information it pulls from. 

If you want a few games to try pointers on, I have some you can practice with. You end up recognizing them in a list of values. Some games it is a nightmare, hex pointer to hex pointer to hex pointer. 

Thanks man.

My problem with pointers is something like this whenever I encounter it:

Assume a value is pointer controlled.

I search and find the value.

Changing it results in no actual change so I hold it and tap "Go to pointer"

It shows me an address, tapping on it gives me an option to select wich data type

For example I select float

The value is for example 2.94E23

So I change the it to 2.94E30 to increase it

But the pointer will change to "null" and still no actual change

Am I doing it wrong?

• Administrators

You can not find pointer by simple search.

For find pointer you need search every time pointer value. Pointer value is memory address. You do not know it.

Then you find not pointer. Any other actions is pointless because it is not a pointer.

One possibility for find pointer  is use fuzzy search but you need know when pointer changed and when - no. Usually user do not know it.

"Go to pointer" simple jump in memory editor to address equal to value of item.

Address of the item "abc", value - "456". You select "Go to pointer" and jump to address "456".

If you select not pointer - then it contain some data and this jump is pointless.

• Moderators

Values you search aren't the pointer. 

Nearby values to what you search, could be the pointer. 

Not the best example. 

But here is one

34 minutes ago, Enyby said:

You can not find pointer by simple search.

For find pointer you need search every time pointer value. Pointer value is memory address. You do not know it.

Then you find not pointer. Any other actions is pointless because it is not a pointer.

One possibility for find pointer  is use fuzzy search but you need know when pointer changed and when - no. Usually user do not know it.

"Go to pointer" simple jump in memory editor to address equal to value of item.

Address of the item "abc", value - "456". You select "Go to pointer" and jump to address "456".

If you select not pointer - then it contain some data and this jump is pointless.

Sorry Enyby , I got no word from the second paragraph, too expert I think, need screens.

Here is what I got in simple form:

1_Pointer is not the value, for example if I have 120 coins the pointer is not 120, it's something else with an offset that we don't know

2_Pointer may change without being noticed

3_we can find pointer by using fuzzy search (yet it takes an era to make it under 10 values in most games by just "increased", "decreased" and "unchanged")

4_You are not an English person

34 minutes ago, NoFear said:

Values you search aren't the pointer. 

Nearby values to what you search, could be the pointer. 

Not the best example. 

But here is one

Thanks I will check it out.

• Administrators

Pointer is common thing. Better from ask here use google for find explanation what is that in normal English.

And you can find pointer only with changed/unchanged fuzzy search. Not with increased/decreased.

6 minutes ago, Enyby said:

Pointer is common thing. Better from ask here use google for find explanation what is that in normal English.

And you can find pointer only with changed/unchanged fuzzy search. Not with increased/decreased.

Thanks man.

I will try to learn it and put a guide here if I could.